Emergency Utility Assistance applications are accepted by WALK-IN ONLY at 1188 Minna Place, Memphis, TN 38104.
Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
Shelby County residents can only be approved for assistance once a program year from October 1st through September 30th. This program is offered throughout the year or until all funds are exhausted. In order to qualify for Emergency Assistance, you must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- At least one household member is 60 years of age or over or;
- At least one household member is 5 years of age or younger;
- At least one household member has a disability or;
- The household has experienced an uncontrollable circumstance - MUST PROVIDE DOCUMENTATION
***Uncontrollable circumstances are provable circumstances that caused an uncontrollable reduction in income and/or an unexpected out-of-pocket expense like job loss, death of spouse, unexpected repair or replacement of a large appliance, or a medical emergency.***
PLUS, you must also meet the following requirements:
- You must be a resident of Shelby County
- Your income must be 60% of the State Median Income (See the Federal Poverty Guidelines chart below )
- You must have an active utility account
- Received a cut-off notice
You will need the required documents even if you receive SNAP benefits:
- State Issued ID
- Social Security cards for all household members
- Income information for household (i.e. check stubs, award letter)
- Copy of your most recent utility bill, can be obtained on the Memphis Light Gas and Water website
THDA Utility Assistance Income Guidelines
(FOR FY 23, EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 3, 2022)
60% of the State Median Income
|People in Household||Annual Income||Monthly Income|
|For Each Additional Person Add:||$ 8,659.00||$ 721.58|
If your household income is at or below the income level above, you may qualify. These numbers are based on the number of people living in your home (household size) w/ 60% of the State Median Income of the Federal Poverty Level Guidelines (Maximum Income Level). You may apply once per program year.
Feel free to contact Shelby County Community Services Agency office at (901) 222-4200 for additional information.
The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) are administered by Shelby County Community Services Agency and is funded by Tennessee Housing Development Agency (THDA). These programs are designed to assist eligible households in meeting the rising cost of home energy.