Regular Utility Assistance

In order to qualify for Regular Assistance:  

  • You must be a resident of Shelby County
  • Your income must be 60% of the State Median Income (See the Federal Poverty Guidelines chart below )
  • You must have an active utility account

To Apply

You will need the required documents even if you receive SNAP benefits:

  • State Issued ID
  • Social Security cards for all household members
  • Income information for household (i.e. check stubs, award letter)
  • Copy of your most recent utility bill, can be obtained on the Memphis Light Gas and Water website



Shelby County residents can only be approved for assistance once a program year from October 1st through September 30th. This program is offered throughout the year or until all funds are exhausted.

Applications can be submitted through the online portal or via mail or drop box. 

"CLICK HERE" to apply online if services are active and you do not have a disconnect notice. 



LIHEAP Online icon

"CLICK HERE" to print the application below or mail to 1188 Minna Place, Memphis, TN 38104.  A drop box is available at this location.

Print LIHEAP icon

Haga clic en "IMPRIMIR SOLICITUD LIHEAP" para imprimir la solicitud que aparece a continuación o envíela por correo a 1188 Minna Place, Memphis, TN 38104. Hay un buzón disponible en este lugar.

Print LIHEAP Spanish icon

Si se desconectan los servicios, la solicitud debe devolverse a 1188 Minna Place.


THDA Utility Assistance Income Guidelines


60% of the State Median Income

People in HouseholdAnnual IncomeMonthly Income
01 $28,141.00 $2,345.08
02 $36,800.00 $3,066.67
03 $45,459.00 $3,788.25
04 $54,118.00 $4,509.83
05 $62,776.00 $5,231.33
06 $71,435.00 $5,952.92
07 $80,094.00 $6,674.50
08 $88,753.00 $7,396.08
For Each Additional Person Add: $ 8,659.00 $ 721.58

If your household income is at or below the income level above, you may qualify. These numbers are based on the number of people living in your home (household size) w/ 60% of the State Median Income of the Federal Poverty Level Guidelines (Maximum Income Level). You may apply once per program year.


Feel free to contact Shelby County Community Services Agency office at (901) 222-4200 for additional information.

The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) are administered by Shelby County Community Services Agency and is funded by Tennessee Housing Development Agency (THDA). These programs are designed to assist eligible households in meeting the rising cost of home energy.

 THDA 300x90


Shelby County
Community Services Agency
1188 Minna Pl. Memphis TN 38104