Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program
If you're struggling to pay your utility bill, the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) may be able to help.
Eligible households can receive up to $1000 once per program year.
- You must be a resident of Shelby County
- Your income must be at or below 150% (w/ 60%SMI Max) Federal Poverty Guidelines (See chart below)
- You must have an active utility account
If you have ALL of the above, you qualify for Regular Assistance
If you qualify for Regular Assistance above AND you received a cut-off notice, you may qualify for Emergency Assistance. To qualify, ONE of the below must also apply to your household:
- At least one household member is 60 years of age or over or;
- At least one household member is 5 years of age or younger;
- At least one household member has a disability or;
- The household has experienced an uncontrollable circumstance
***Uncontrollable circumstances are provable circumstances that caused an uncontrollable reduction in income and/or an unexpected out-of-pocket expense like job loss, death of spouse, unexpected repair or replacement of a large appliance, or a medical emergency.***
Contact InformationNew Community Services Agency Office1188 Minna Pl.
Memphis TN 38104
You will need:
- State Issued ID
- Social Security cards for all household members
- Income information for household (i.e. check stubs, award letter)
- Copy of your most recent utility bill
This program is offered throughout the year or until all funds are exhausted. Applications can be submitted online, mailed, emailed or drop box.
THDA/LIHEAP Utility Assistance Income Guidelines
(FOR FY 22, EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 1, 2021)
150% Federal Poverty Guidelines
(w/ 60%SMI Max)
|People in Household||Annual Income||Monthly Income|
|For Each Additional Person Add:||$ 7,754.00||$ 646.17|
If your household income is at or below the income level above, you may qualify. These numbers are based on the number of people living in your home (household size) and 126% (w/ 60% SMI Max) of the Federal Poverty Level Guidelines (Maximum Income Level). You may apply once per program year.
Feel free to contact Shelby County Community Services Agency LIHEAP office at (901) 222-4200 for additional information.
The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is administered by Shelby County Community Services Agency and is funded by Tennessee Housing Development Agency (THDA). The program is designed to assist eligible households in meeting the rising cost of home energy.