Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program
If you're struggling to pay your utility bill, the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) may be able to help.
Eligible households can receive up to $650 once per program year.
- You must be a resident of Shelby County
- Your income must be at or below 126% (w/ 60%SMI Max) Federal Poverty Guidelines (See chart below)
- You must have an active utility account
If you have ALL of the above, you qualify for Regular Assistance
If you qualify for Regular Assistance above AND you received a cut-off notice, you may qualify for Emergency Assistance. To qualify, ONE of the below must also apply to your household:
- At least one household member is 60 years of age or over or;
- At least one household member is 5 years of age or younger;
- At least one household member has a disability or;
- The household has experienced an uncontrollable circumstance
* Uncontrollable circumstances are provable circumstances that caused an uncontrollable reduction in income and/or an unexpected out-of-pocket expense like job loss, death of spouse, unexpected repair or replacement of a large appliance, or a medical emergency.
Hickory Ridge Mall - Community Services Section
3772 South Hickory Ridge Mall, #516
Memphis, TN 38115
You will need:
- State Issued ID
- Social Security cards for all household members
- Income information for household (i.e. check stubs, award letter)
- Copy of your most recent utility bill
This program is offered throughout the year until all funds are exhausted. Each customer must submit an application via online portal, mail or drop box.
If you have applied for assistance since Oct 1 2017, do not have a discount notice, or you are not currently disconnected Click here to apply Online
If you are currently disconnected or pending disconnection print & complete application and place in the drobox along with all supporting documentation located at hickory ridge mall - Community Services Section 3772 South Hickory Ridge Mall #516 Memphis, TN 38115
THDA INCOME GUIDELINES
(FOR FY 20, EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 1, 2020)
126% Federal Poverty Guidelines
(w/ 60%SMI Max)
|People in Household||Annual Income||Monthly Income|
|For Each Additional Person Add:||$ 7,339.00||$ 611.58|
If your household income is at or below the income level above, you may qualify. These numbers are based on the number of people living in your home (household size) and 126% (w/ 60% SMI Max) of the Federal Poverty Level Guidelines (Maximum Income Level). You may apply once per program year.
Feel free to contact Shelby County Community Services Agency LIHEAP office at (901) 222-4200 for additional information.
The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is administered by Shelby County Community Services Agency and is funded by Tennessee Housing Development Agency (THDA). The program is designed to assist eligible households in meeting the rising cost of home energy.