If you're struggling to pay your utility bill, the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) may be able to help. This program can put up to $650 on your utility account to keep your lights on.
- Does your household have a low-income? (See chart below)
- Do you have an active utility account?
- Are you a resident of Shelby County?
If you answered yes to ALL of the above, you qualify for Regular Assistance
If you qualify for Regular Assistance above AND you received a cut-off notice, you may qualify for Emergency Assistance. To qualify, ONE of the below must also apply to your household:
- At least one household member is 60 years of age or over or;
- At least one household member is 5 years of age or younger;
- At least one household member has a disability or;
- The household has experienced an uncontrollable circumstance*
* Uncontrollable circumstances are provable circumstances that caused an uncontrollable reduction in income and/or an unexpected out-of-pocket expense like job loss, death of spouse, unexpected repair or replacement of a large appliance, or a medical emergency.
THDA INCOME GUIDELINES
(FOR FY 2019, EFFECTIVE MAY 1, 2019)
150% Federal Poverty Guidelines
|People in Household||Annual Income||Monthly Income|
|For Each Additional Person Add:||$ 6,630.00||$ 552.50|
If your household income is at or below the income level above, you may qualify. These numbers are based on the number of people living in your home (household size) and 150% of the Federal Poverty Level Guidelines (Maximum Income Level). You may apply once per program year.
Call to make an In-Person Appointment
Call on Mondays only, starting at 8am, 901-222-4299
Our receptionist will determine if you are qualified, set up an in-person appointment, and tell you what documents to bring.
Or Mail in Complete Applications and Documents to:
Shelby County Community Services Agency
3772 S. Hickory Ridge Mall Suite 516
Memphis, TN 38115
Sorry, No Walk Ins
Feel free to contact Shelby County Community Services Agency LIHEAP office at (901) 222-4270 for additional information.
The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is administered by Shelby County Community Services Agency and is funded by Tennessee Housing Development Agency (THDA). The program is designed to assist eligible households in meeting the rising cost of home energy.